Friday, February 25, 2011

I am sorry Bruno Mars for...

I am notorious for singing the wrong lyrics to songs. 


Unfortunately, I am not one of those people who sings quietly to themselves or in the privacy of their own car. I do all that, but I also sing in the house, in the shower, in Mike's car, in a room with my family i.e. wherever my heart desires.


This is not me, obvi. But this is what I probably look like when I am in my car.
I also sing loudly. In fact, Mike has to remind me from time to time that he would like to hear the artist's voice over mine occasionally. I have no idea why he would want to do that, but whatever, jerk.


Anyway, it has become a running joke in the Nelson household to see what lyrics I get wrong to pretty much every song we listen to. So it came as no surprise to me the other day when I was singing in my car that I discovered I had the lyrics to Bruno Mars "Just the Way You Are" VERY wrong.


Somehow, this lyric: But every time she asks me do I look okay, I say...

Got translated into this lyric: But every time she asks me do I love cocaine, I say...

And to be honest, this made me pretty horrified that the radio was playing such trash. I know my little 11 and 12 year old hormonal kiddos LOVE Bruno Mars, and while he may struggle with a personal addiction in real life, I certainly did not feel that it was appropriate to sing about it in a love song, of all things. A song that my kids would listen to and want their boyfriends to dedicate to them on 97.9 The Beat.

So, I kind of boycotted Bruno Mars. And talked bad about him in my head when I saw him at the Grammys (not because I'm weird, okay, well maybe because I'm weird, but because Mike hasn't been home for me to talk to for the past 2 months.)

Anyway, it wasn't until the other day that I realized what he was actually saying. And then I was kind of embarrassed and felt bad for judging him out of ignorance. But only for a second, because then I realized that I didn't really care, that there are more songs for me to mix up, and most definitely more stories like this in my future.

Happy Friday Y'all!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...