Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I need a hint about what to give up for Lent

And I'm a terrible poet, I know it.


Anyway, I have had some interesting experiences with churches. I was baptized Catholic and religiously attended Mass each Sunday until I was 10, no pun attended.


My parents left the Catholic church and subsequently so did I, but I still find myself drawn to the sacred rites and rituals of the church. 


That said, Lent starts tomorrow. Lent is the tradition of giving something up (typically a vice that you would have a difficult time without) for about 40 days. This year, because Easter is SO late, it will be 46 days. This practice honors what Jesus sacrificed in the desert while he was taunted by the devil for 40 days. As it is one of the traditions that I appreciate in the Catholic church, I've been thinking about what to give up.


There are certain things that I probably should give up because they'd be a true sacrifice. However, Kristen + no carbs = cranky wife, friend, teacher and coworker.


Then there are things that would be a challenge: Kristen giving up naps, the occasional curse word, pizza, diet cokes (oh God, diet cokes??? Could I really do that?)


And finally, I've heard about people celebrating lent a little differently through giving of their time and money. Donating money to a new charity each week. Volunteering for a few hours at the soup kitchen each week. As I do volunteer quite a bit through Junior League, I don't know how exactly this would be a true test for myself. But, then again, it is always great to do things for other people rather than yourself, so there'd be the added bonus in that.


So, what should I do? What do you think about Lent? Will you be sacrificing anything this year? If so, what?





1 comment:

  1. I sacrifice my life each and every day of every school year as a teacher. So how many days of Lent is this? Because I do this I am owed something back in return since this is longer than 40 days. Or, since you do the same it means you don't have to give up anything either. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...