Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm not gonna write you a love song, but how about a letter?

I follow the Smithsonian on Twitter and today they posted a link to information about their newest exhibit: love letters. Wow, if only I lived in D.C. right now. M- go! Go and tell me all about it. 

Looking through these made me wistful. What a forgotten pastime! Write a letter? Why write a letter when I could call him? Why call him when I could shoot him a quick email? Y email whn i cld txt?

I love these letters for many reasons, but mainly because they are so pure. What is more beautiful than being so in love that you're willing  to reveal the most intimate parts of your soul in an honest,  raw, no-holds-barred type of way? That you're inclined to make it a permanent declaration?

Here are some of my favorites:

Rockwell Kent to Frances Kent
Rockwell Kent to Francis Kent, 1893.
Frida Kahlo, Paris, France letter to Nickolas Muray, New York, N.Y.
Frida Kahlo to Nickolas Murray, 1939
"My Child, I really shouldn't complain about anything that happens to me in life, as long as you love me and I love you."
Moses Soyer letter to David Soyer
Moses Soyer to David Soyer, 1940
Valentines Day is four days away! What words would you write to your Valentine?


Yay for Thursday! -Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...